Ravoharaha Eco Lodge
A human-sized ecolodge, consisting of treehouses, bungalows and 4 more accessible rooms, on the island of Sainte-Marie in the heart of a fishing village.
A small SPA space is also waiting for you.
- Funding since 2010 for school fees for children in the village
- Organization of in-kind donations from customers (clothes, supplies, medicines, etc.) for the village. Consider asking what the needs are before you leave ;)
- Member of the Markis association (school renovation).
- Fight against sex tourism (a real scourge in Madagascar, which we are starting to call the new Thailand): local guests for one night are not allowed in our establishment.
LOCAL - ORGANIC
The restaurant offers local and organic gastronomy.
LOCAL ECONOMY DEVELOPMENT
- no rental of bicycles or scooters at the hotel for guests to rent directly to the villagers,
- the tourist tours are organised by local guides - valuing fresh local produce.
- Significant hiring of staff from the region
- Daily purchase of flowers to the women of the village.
- The ecolodge is supplied with spring water and rainwater.
- Wastewater is treated with a septic tank without the addition of chemicals or synthetics.
- No air conditioning but natural ventilation.
- Low-energy bulbs.
- Hot water is produced by solar water heaters.
- 99% biodegradable cleaning products.
- Garden without pesticides or weedkillers.
- Choice of natural local materials for the bar and restaurant and the eight bungalows (wood, Ravenal Pandanus: local thatch), in order to perpetuate and enhance the construction of traditional Saint-Mariens habitats.
GESTION OF DECHETS
- Waste sorting program (plastics, metal, wood, glass).
- A compactor (water bottles) allows guests to take with them the waste they have generated.
AWARENESS AND PRESERVATION
- Staff awareness of environmental issues.
- Preservation of Madagascar's forests by tree sponsorship system for reforestation (Biotrop association).
- The Ravoraha ecolodge is committed every year to the "sustainable tourism charter" to protect its natural and social environment.